Road Accident Scam  

RSS

Silvertail
(@silvertail)
Member Admin
09/04/2018 4:03 pm  

Most of you will probably be aware but this old scam seems to be doing the rounds again in this area.  Someone, usually in a 4x4 will claim that you have caused damage to their vehicle while on a particular road at a certain time.  They may even call the Police who will come to view your vehicle but when no damage is found, they may try to harass you to give them money.  The Police will give out your contact information because they consider it a civil matter between insurance companies and giving your contact details is expected.  My Dave was talking to someone at the AGM about their experiences and the demand for £200.  We have also had a similar spurious claim which was clearly fraudulent a few weeks ago.  Just a heads up.

Bacon butties & Bikes

ReplyQuote
Silvertail
(@silvertail)
Member Admin
09/04/2018 4:04 pm  

If it does ever happen to you, please keep a note of their vehicle, phone number etc.  If it turns out to be the same person, I'm sure the Police would like to know.

Bacon butties & Bikes

ReplyQuote
GrangeRob
(@grangerob)
09/04/2018 4:49 pm  

Thanks for the information.

I keep meaning to invest in cameras for this very reason.

ReplyQuote
stuarthurst
(@stuarthurst)
10/04/2018 11:27 am  

2 things here - Value for Money Camera for recording! I have this on my bike

The camera's are tiny and the only issue is that the rear camera records in reverse.  I suppose the other thing is that it records in .avi mode which is not that good in terms of space / time on recording.  I use a 32Gb small sd card.  Bonus was I complained to the Chinese company about the camera being in reverse and ended up getting all my money back with them not asking for the camera back...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-HD-Motorcycle-DVR-Dual-Camera-Video-Recorder-2-Split-Video-Display-Waterproof/253277601457?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The other thing is this tracker - £34.99  If you use GPRS, at it's maximum setting, it's 100Mb of GPRS data a month.  I use texts to alert me when it leaves home, arrives at work, if the bike has vibration and if it goes over 80mph.  I currently use GiffGaff sim in it (as it needs a sim)  It works with Tesco or EE or the other major network covers.  You can also call it and hear what's going on at the bike too!!!  (Preventing it being nicked is better, but if it is nicked, you can see where it is on an app, by texting the tracker and it will let you know, or on a webpage....  What's not to like?  Battery has lasted me 3 weeks so far on it's least power saving mode but it can last up to 3 months.  Or just wire it into a USB socket.  Currently mines under the seat, but I will be sticking it deep inside the engine sometime when I have a wire to hard wire it in.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TKSTAR-TK905-Vehicle-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-Waterproof-Standby-Magnet-fo12/272766531408?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Edited: 2 weeks  ago

GrangeRob liked
ReplyQuote
GrangeRob
(@grangerob)
10/04/2018 2:24 pm  

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the links. I had seen a version of that camera somewhere else on the web and thought it looked a good size. Obviously it has it's downsides but is it possible to read numberplates ok? at night? I suppose at that price it could be worth a punt.

It's a shame there aren't many small motorbike friendly camera set ups out there. I don't fancy sticking things to my lid!

I'm tempted by a couple of Mobius cameras but they're not waterproof so a bit of a 'chocolate teapot' on the bike.

More research needed,I think  😆 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register