Something we often ask associates about are observation links and they are one of those areas where other people's experience can really help newer riders. It would be great to share some of our favourites so that we can all gain, learn and have a few to choose from when giving examples for associates.
Just a few to start off:
Dustbins out on the roadside - refuse lorry could be round the corner and stopped on the road
Dust being kicked up in a field/seeing top of tractor - vehicle could join the road from an unexpected place (take care when overtaking)
Tractor ahead of vehicles you are about to overtake - exercise caution on overtaking, tractor could turn right into a field in front of you.
Sunshine coming through buildings to the left when filtering can indicate a hidden junction.
Just a few of mine...
- Sunny patch on hedge-lined road, possible junction/gate ahead.
- Tractors collecting hay in fields, possible clumps of grass on roads.
- Approaching dairy farm or passing cows in field near a farm, possible fresh muck on the road.
- Bus appraoching stop in town (especially at rush hour), pedestrians runing in to road (to catch that bus).
- Emergency vehicle siren, other road users making sudden movements/heavy braking.